This isn’t an FAQ. I have a stash of random questions folks have asked me now and then and I have enough to answer.
Okay, let’s do the thing. Also, these are not verbatim because I’m a lazy fucker.
- Someone asked what my first publication was. It was 1994 and a poem. I lied about my age, I was 17 and told no one. It was an angsty love poem about an older woman with auburn colored armpit hair and how she shot me down when I asked her on a date.
- What am I looking forward to reading? Old Guy Dad: Weird Shit Happens When You Don’t Die Young by Jerry Stahl, both of Roxane Gay’s books, I JUST this instant found out Joe Clifford (who wrote Junkie Love) has a new book coming out called Lamentation. I’m ready for that. I really loved Junkie Love. Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine uh and a whole bunch of other stuff.
- HOW TO GET PUBLISHED. This is the secret. Write that shit. Rewrite that shit. Edit that shit. Edit that shit again. Submit that shit. Get that shit rejected a lot. Sometimes that shit gets accepted. Rinse, repeat forever. That is really just all.
- HOW DO YOU WRITE. Ass in chair, standing at the bus stop, at work, on paper, via computer. I write as much as I can as often as I can. Just write. Write anything, just writes. The muse can go get fucked. Just write. Write a recipe, write a blog post, write a poem about how much you suck, just write. If you don’t write nothing happens. Write. Sometimes writing is really fucking hard and terrible, but I do it because I have to.
- Do I have a degree? Nope. I barely graduated high school and have no interest in going to college.
- What is my opinion about MFA’s/the arguments about them. I honestly don’t give a hot fuck. I just don’t.
- What is my favorite horror novel? The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker.
- How is Patreon going? Really well. Better than I anticipated. I will write more about it later.
- Am I writing a novel? Uh…yes and no. I’m not at actual novel writing stage right now but it is on my mind.
- What am I working on? Self Care Like a Boss, a sooper seekrit for now project and more essays about my butt, fiction, and everything.
- What am I afraid of? Birds. Clowns (not as bad as I used to be). Mediocrity in my own eyes. Being murdered by police. Large crowds of White ppl.
Uh I think that’s all of them for right now.
Okay I’m still trying to recover from this ass destroying cold. I have SO much to write about here. Soon I’ll do my next installment of People/Things I like. They aren’t really reviews just me talking about stuff and people I like that I want you to know about. I have to talk about my writing goals for the rest of the year and some other stuff I’ve decided I want to do with my creative life.
Next week there’ll be some new stuff and announcements.
ALSO super exciting I have saved up 10% of my laptop fund already. Check it out on Smartypig. ALSO I’m going to write about Smartypig being a big part of me breaking up with poverty brain. And do me a favor, if you want to use Smartypig for savings too let me know so I can send you an invite.
Okay later y’all. I got work to do.