In case you haven’t seen me before there I am.
How about a list of some random shit about yours truly?
- My two favorite types of tea are genmaicha brewed extra strong and pu-erh.
- My absolute favorite coffee in the ENTIRE fucking world is Death Wish.
- I am extremely persnickety about what ink pens I use. I only write in purple ink and these are my favorite pens. Pentel R.S.V.P. Ballpoint Pen, 0.7mm Fine Tip, Violet Ink. YES sorry amazon affiliate link.
- My favorite Yankee Candle scent is Midsummer’s Night. I hardly ever buy it because it’s fuckin expensive but I love it.
- I am an aging Goth. I am totally unashamed of this fact.
- I have trashbag taste in TV but at the same time am extremely picky about what I watch.
- I LOVE perfume oils. Generally indie. A gift of some BPAL started it all like 12 years ago. My favorite notes are: smoke, leather, tobacco, dark vanilla, honey, clove, cardamom, chocolate, roses, dirt, musk, dragons blood. I am so good at buying unsmelled that 99% of the time if a scent doesn’t work on my body, it works on my partner. My tastes tend to run to spicy/more masculine.
- I can talk about things like makeup, skin care, body care, bath fancies, perfumes etc FOREVER.
- I really love creepy things. Bones, teeth, taxidermied animal parts all as jewelry.
- I am a compulsive reader. If I get desperate I read shampoo and body wash bottles while I poop.
- I have an undying love of the original Castlevania (OG Nintendo) because it was the first video game I ever finished by myself.
There was an actual purpose to this.
I’m teaching myself to write more autobiographically without relying on issues. For me, it’s easier to write about how racism or sexism or whatever thing hits me personally and make it a lesson. I think those are my activist roots showing.
So I’m working on writing about who I am as a human and how I got to be this human.
Behold what some of us lovingly call The Stabby, or The Establishment. This is woman funded, woman founded media.
Holy fucking shit.
These are the folks I met with in person months ago and had my first writer/editors in person dinner meeting.
What I pitched to them at dinner was the piece I will link in a minute. I had been wanting to write about being a big nerd and some of my trials and tribulations in my life. Now, initially my notes for this were very rigid and I am a dork and nerd culture makes me upset type thing.
I decided to try something new.
I showed my tender little nerd underbelly and talked about who I am in real life. I talked about some crap that happened and getting through it.
You can read my piece here.
Y’all that was one of the most difficult things I’ve ever written. I battled and sweated. I had to fight myself, like knock down drag out fight myself to not rescind my pitch and not to try so hard to be a Strong Black Woman Who Don’t NEed Nobody.
And you know what?
It went live during their launch week and people like it. I got messages from other Black nerds my age who experienced some of what I did. I got fist pumps. I had baby Black nerds telling me YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
That kind of freaked me out if I’m gonna be real about it. It was such a departure from my rage pieces where people are angry along with me.
I don’t know how to put it, but it just felt different and gave me some deep pause.
It feels alien (and yes, I know this is my anxiety and shit talking) that people like it because it’s me. Like the actual MeatWorld Shannon, who often flails and twitches and flaps and squeals.
Most of what I say here is me. Like pretty close to actually talking to me though, I am nicer on the internet. But it still feels weird that someone gave me money to write about how much of a potsie nerd I am.
Okay that’s all.