Okay I am in dire need of limbering up my lil brain so let’s talk about bucket list stuff I’m either writing about or have plans to write about.
- I want to/have been making notes on writing about the romantic love of my Queer Femme friends. I realize hetero ppl have JUST fucking discovered this and I want to talk about it, especially in the context of marginalized Femme People being there for each other when the rest of the world wants us dead.
- I want to write about how when I most needed role models, my role models were sex workers. Not the thin, pretty White kind who are always top notch blablabla, but girls on the streets. How when hardly anybody gave a shit about me, they quite literally saved my life. And how much I loved them and how they set me up for what is turning out to be a lifetime of loving and identifying with sex workers who are not on the “glamorous” or pure tragic end of the spectrum of experiences.
- A probably super snarky guide for the writing world on how to stop saying diversity and being about shit. That’s in progress.
- The highly syncretic nature of my work and a more in depth look at why that is a problem for publishing as it exists now and the problems that poses for me as a creator.
- More real talk about perimenopause and bodily shit.
- I want to write deeply about how alienating and terrible I’ve found the freelance industry to be. From the racism I’ve experienced at the hands of non Black writers who are totally not racist and are totally allies, to the issues I see with what is published to the problem of White writers straight up stealing from POC writers and getting their coin for it and generally being shit.
- A (kinda?) funny essay about a bad dating experience I had written to correlate with a rom com.
- A defense of fast fashion that is instructive and doesn’t skim over the fact that poor people need pants too.
These are all pretty much in progress. Some are more time intensive than others. There are some other things I want to/am writing about. One of them is an issue with using Brown/Black avatars in games I’ve played only to have that become the basis of harassment and how I’ve stopped playing those games. I’d like to insersect Blackness, representation and sexism, and ask a lot of questions. BUT, I don’t want to get GG up my entire ass and I can’t afford a lot of their fuckery so I haven’t.
In terms of fiction I’m pretty ass deep in slipstream/spec fic. I haven’t been doing Yeah, Write but it’s on my mind.
I’m trying really hard to finish some straight up high fantasy but it’s been difficult because I feel like I lack a proof of concept? I mean, the two stories I’m working on are not at all what I’ve ever read in fantasy for the most part other than one being kinda romantic and swords and shit but I’m doing stuff that is uh, not super out there logicall but it is very Black and not here for White centered fantasy I dunno. It makes me nervous.
Also I am in the process of figuring out how I want anthologize The World. It’s gonna be pretty labor intensive so I’m waiting to really get into it until after Gertie (my laptop) is fixed.
I think that’s all for now. I have a lot of stuff I want to do today.
OH no wait one more thing. You can go here and get yourself an about weekly little love letter from your fave indie author. This week I talk poetry, fear pooping and feelings. It isn’t a formal author newsletter but it is the closest to one that I want to put out.
That’s really all. I love y’all. Thanks for hanging out here.